Q: Should I submit an application if my answer to one or more of the eligibility requirement questions is "no"?

A. No, failure to meet any of the program's eligibility requirements will disqualify your application.

Please do not submit an application unless you meet all eligibility criteria: your home is located within the program's boundaries,, you own the home in question, you are willing to actively participate in the program and pay the required fee for your home assessment, and you are willing to sign the liability waiver.

Q: What am I committing to by checking "yes" to implementing mitigation measures for as long as I am in my home?

A: You are agreeing to maintain the mitigation measures you perform while in the program, over a long term.

This means you understand that mitigation is not a one-time event and you must perform regular upkeep in order for these mitigation measures to continue to reduce your risk.

Q: If I encourage my neighbors to apply, do I receive any financial benefits from the program?

A: No you do not.

However, applicants who host a neighborhood meeting are eligible for a free assessment. See “How much does the assessment cost” under the General F.A.Q.

Q: I do not want to cut some of my favorite trees. Do your defensible-space guidelines allow for some trees close to the house?

A: Yes, the Colorado State Forest Service guidelines allow for trees in Zone 1.

However, an on-site assessment with a Wildfire Mitigation Specialist is needed to evaluate your property and determine, with your input, the specific trees to keep and cut in order to meet these guidelines.

Q: I have a wood shake roof that has received a Class A fire rating, does it need to be replaced?

A: No, the expensive, wood shake option that achieves a Class A rating does not need to be replaced.

Shingles that incorporate a factory-applied, fire resistance treatment that are properly installed over spaced or solid heating that have been covered either with one layer of 1/4 in. (6.4 mm) thick combustible roof board, or with one layer of minimum 72-lb. fiber-glass-based mineral surfaced cap sheet, or with another specialty roofing sheet can obtain the Class A fire rating.)

Q: What if I want to do the work myself or hire someone who is not on the 2018 Wildfire Partners Forestry Contractors List?

A: You still may be accepted into the program, however, you will not receive any financial assistance from Wildfire Partners.

Answer "No" to the "Defensible Space Contractor" question if you want to do the forestry work yourself or hire a contractor who is not on this list. The 2018 list is located at Forestry and Home Contractors. Answering "Yes" to this question does not commit you to hiring a contractor from the list. We are only asking if you would be willing to consider hiring a contractor from the list.

Q:What financial assistance does Wildfire Partners provide?

A: Wildfire Partners can provide 2 types of financial assistance.

Standard awards and need-based, additional assistance are both available to applicants. Standard awards are 50% of Wildfire Partners Forestry Contractor costs or $2,500, whichever is less. See question below about need-based assistance.

Q: What mitigation measures are eligible for Wildfire Partners Financial Awards?

A: Only forestry and vegetation-related work conducted by a 2018 Wildfire Partners Forestry Contractor are eligible for support.

Rock, gravel or home retrofits are not eligible.

Q: How do I know if I will qualify for need-based financial assistance?

A: You must fill out the need-based application first.

If you have previously qualified for a government program that uses formal income criteria for acceptance, there is a good chance you will qualify for need-based assistance from Wildfire Partners. If you have a way to formally document your need, then you should check "Yes" for the Additional Financial Assistance question and fill out a need-based application. There is no way to know if you will qualify for this assistance without filling out this additional application.

Q: Am I obligated to pay the amount I select for the "Willingness To Pay" question?

A: You are not required to pay the amount you select when you answer this question.

Your answer will not influence the amount of financial assistance you receive. Your answer to this question helps the program evaluate the strength of your application. Applicants who recognize that there are costs involved in mitigation and who are willing to pay part of these costs are often strong candidates for enrollment.

Q: If my willingness to pay is low, but my willingness to work is high, will my application be viewed favorably?

A: In evaluating your application, we will examine your willingness and ability to pay and work as a total package.

The best strategy is to answer the questions on the application honestly based on your current situation and understanding rather than trying to guess what answers may enhance your chances.

Q: What do you consider "wildfire mitigation work?"

A:The list of potential wildfire mitigation tasks is very long.

Common examples of this work include cutting grasses, raking pine needles, cleaning up debris, removing shrubs, cutting and/or low limbing trees, screening vents, filling holes and gaps in walls, and other minor retrofits to reduce the ignitions potential of your home. If you are interested in learning more about what is involved in wildfire mitigation, read the Colorado State Forest Service Defensible Space Quick Guide.

Q: What do I need to do to obtain a Wildfire Partners Certificate and letter that I may provide to my insurance company?

A: The specific actions necessary to obtain the certificate and letter are different for every home.

These actions will be determined during your home assessment with your Wildfire Mitigation Specialist, and they will be documented in your customized assessment report.

Q: How and when will I be told if my application has been accepted?

A: In most cases, you will be notified by email within two weeks of your submission.

Applications may be placed on a wait list and be accepted into the program at a later date.  You may contact our phone advisors to check on the status of your application.

Q: How do I improve my chances of being accepted into the Wildfire Partners program?

A: Apply early as funding is limited.

We will stop accepting applications when we reach our funding limits. In addition, talk to your neighbors and encourage them to apply. If you answer "Yes" to the question, "Have you encouraged any of your neighbors to apply to Wildfire Partners?" on the application form, then the chances of your application being accepted will increase.